Sunday, March 7, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Let me just start off by saying that Alice in Wonderland is my favorite Disney classic, and when I heard that a remake was being made a few years ago, I was ecstatic. My boyfriend and I went to see it yesterday in IMAX 3D and well, I was a little disappointed. The movie was too dark. There were only a few short scenes where Wonderland is really beautiful and a wonderland. I kind of expected it, because I've seen Tim Burton movies before, but I was hoping and hoping he would make this movie pretty! I didn't like the tree stumps and all that ugliness. I get that the Red Queen took over, but I still wanted to see the wonderland that was in the original movie (and how incredible that Wonderland could have been in IMAX!). I loved the characters. The Mad Hatter was incredible and hilarious (Johnny Depp! ♥); I loved his makeup and his outfit. The actress who played Alice did a great job, and I loved her dresses throughout the movie. the Red Queen was funny (and I liked her lipstick!), and I liked how the White Queen walked and was so composed and magical-like. The humor and dialogue was outstanding. BUT I WANTED TO SEE THE BEAUTIFUL WONDERLAND IN IMAX 3D! I can't believe that I actually think that Avatar was prettier.

However, there were these two people sitting to the left of me that wouldn't stop eating popcorn and some other thing in a bag. That annoyed me a lot. People don't have courtesy anymore. Eat it while the movie is loud but don't chew like a fat cow and reach into a plastic bag really loudly when the movie is at a slow part without a lot of sound. It bugged the hell out of me! I wanted to switch seats with my boyfriend but then I didn't want to make them feel bad! It was frustrating, but then there were these little kids sitting right behind us that kept talking for the whole thing: "OH MY GOD! Look! A caterpillar! A cat! That's a cat! What does that mean? HAHAHA Why did she do that? What does this mean?........" I wanted to yell at them and then yell at their stupid parents for not informing them to shut the hell up during a movie. With all that said, I'm hoping that that was a big reason why I didn't thoroughly like the movie as much as I had wanted to. I'm going to go see it again in a while, this time maybe not in IMAX because our IMAX is kind of far away, but definitely in 3D. I'm giving it a second shot, and I am so hoping I like it the second time.

My review for the movie after the first time seeing it: It was very well written. The cast was amazing. The humor was great. However, it was too dark and Tim Burton didn't really capture the Wonderland that I have loved and dreamed of since I was a little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment